Highlighter is one of my absolute fav makeup products (behind bronzer and brow gel). I cannot live without the glow! It’s such an easy way to bring any makeup look to life.
There are so many gorgeous highlighter shades on the market; personally, I tend to gravitate towards pale gold and bronze-y shades. Classic champagnes and pearls are pretty, too, but I’m all about looking sun-kissed 24/7.
A few of my go-to brands also have some surprisingly wearable statement shades that I really love. Milk Makeup’s Holographic Highlighting Powder in Mars (shown above) is a heart-stopping peach shade unlike any other. I’m also really into BECCA’s Light Chaser Highlighter in Opal Flashes Jade and, of course, Fenty Beauty’s Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter in Trophy Wife (an instant classic that doubles as eyeshadow)!
To celebrate all the stunning highlighters in my collection, I put together this glam makeup look featuring Mars. I played up the peachy tones with the help of ColourPop’s All I See Is Magic palette (no longer available) and Buxom’s Full-On Lip Cream in Peach Daquiri.
Mars looks okay-at-best in the pan, but as soon as it goes on the cheeks, the color becomes bold and multidimensional.
As far as formulas go, I can’t get enough of ColourPop’s Super Shock Highlighter. They’re extremely intense, buttery smooth and long-lasting. (Plus, there’s tons of great shades to pick from.) They’re best applied to the face with the ring finger.
The first-ever highlighter I purchased was Benefit’s Watt’s Up! Cream-To-Powder. And it’s still an amazing product. The “luminous champagne” shade is universally flattering, and I know I can count on it for “no-makeup” makeup days and full-glam days alike.
NARS Highlighting Blush in Hot Sand is a stunning, warm pale peach that gives my cheekbones a delicious, wet look (beware, though, this product has a tone of kick-up, but it’s worth it). I love that NARS also carries an all-over illuminator and a lip gloss in Hot Sand–perfect for creating a monochrome beach-y look. (Still need to get my hands on that gloss!)
My go-to everyday highlighters
- ColourPop Super Shock Highlighter in Off Tropic
- ColourPop Super Shock Highlighter in Flexitarian
- Glossier Haloscope in Topaz
- Glossier Haloscope in Moonstone
- Benefit Watt’s Up! Cream-To-Powder Highlighter
- NARS Highlighting Blush in Hot Sand
Most-loved statement-making shades
- ColourPop Super Shock Cheek in Might Be
- ColourPop Super Shock Cheek in Over The Moon
- Milk Makeup Holographic Highlighting Powder in Mars
- BECCA Light Chaser Highlighter in Opal Flashes Jade
- Fenty Beauty Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter in Trophy Wife
- ColourPop Fan Brush, for a subtle and buildable glow
- Real Techniques Setting Brush, for an intense and blinding glow