Sustainability is sexy. And like most things in life, I partake in sustainable fashion using the 80/20 rule. That is, I shop sustainably 80 percent of the time (either secondhand or from “slow fashion” retailers like the ones listed below), and indulge in non-sustainable fashion (such as Free People or I.Am.Gia) the remaining 20 percent of the time.
A few months ago I put together a post on my favorite U.S.-based fashion retailers, and while most of those *are* sustainable sources of fashion (looking at you, Backbite, Reformation and Revice), I left out a few notable names.
Hot-As-Hell: With a name like Hot-As-Hell, this definitely isn’t your mother’s sustainable fashion label. So, indulge in ultra-femme lingerie, swimwear, loungewear and ready-to-wear without any of the guilt you’d get shopping at a department store.
Timeless and wearable, HAH’s constructs quality pieces that fit impeccably–thanks to Jacalyn Bennett, a 30-year veteran of lingerie and apparel design.
Per the brand’s website, “HAH is proud to work with vendors who are pioneers in their industries, socially and ecologically conscious and experts in their respective fields.”
Additionally, the label cares about their production methods just as much as it cares about its products and customers.
The site continues, “HAH is committed to minimizing waste, through our smarter usage of resources and raw materials…Ever conscious of the environment and the products we make, we work hard (and smart) to ensure that our legacy is something we can be proud of. In keeping with the HAH ideal of eco-friendly design, we have launched a number of sustainable initiatives…”
Nüdwear: Kick your Victoria’s Secret habit to the curb with Nüdwear, a sustainable lingerie company based in New York. Specializing in no-show bras for the backless, strapless or plunging top lover in you, this innovative, one-of-a-kind label also has a gorgeous selection of slips and robes.
Per Nüdwear, “We feel that it is our responsibility as a brand to minimize our impact on the environment through sustainable manufacturing practices and by using eco-friendly materials, packaging and mailers.”
Sure, nearly every gal loves splurging on a sexy For Love And Lemons or Agent Provocateur set to show off now and then. But, think of Nüdwear as the essential, everyday lingerie you *don’t* want to be seen; looking seamless is the whole point.
Re/Done: If you love denim, you need a pair of Re/Done jeans. I’m not so much of a denim lover as I am a denim obsessor, so I invested in a pair of Re/Done’s Ass Rip Jean: the same as the brand’s signature High Rise Jean, except its pre-torn right below the cheek.
Re/Done–known for its white label–is completely different from any other denim on the market in just about every way possible.
Per the brand’s website, “We take the vintage denim apart at the seams, repurposing it as the fabric of our new jeans…The pair you select on our website is the pair that you will receive at your doorstep. We simplify the tedious process of searching for hours or days to find the perfect looking vintage jeans, then having to find a ‘denim’ tailor to modernize the fit, yet give you that same personalized experience, ultimately taking individuality a step further than anyone else.”
And all of that is done sustainably in the United States.
“We are proud to manufacture our jeans in Downtown Los Angeles using water conserving methods and no harsh chemicals. Quantities will always be limited since each pair is handpicked, hand cut and distinctly one-of-a-kind.”
In addition to *tons* of denim–including jackets, shorts and skirts–Re/Done has an impressive collection of leather, t-shirts, bodysuits and sportswear. Explore #myredones on Insta for a little taste of all the brand’s white-label-clad pieces.
More than just a denim company, Re/Done is “a movement to restore individuality to the luxury fashion space, a movement to keep heritage brands relevant and a movement to create sustainable fashion.”
Enjoy the sustainable look I put together with #myredones (Ass Rips, of course) and a simple-yet-sexy ribbed tank from Reformation Vintage.
As Re/Done’s site states, these jeans took a little breaking in before they felt right. The racerback tank, however, was killer from the second I put it on. It has that perfectly flattering fit, plus it’s COMFORTABLE and looks amazing with just about everything. (And it’s just the right amount of see-through). I want to wear it all day, every day. (I’m definitely going to grab a couple more next time I’m in L.A.)
I’m also wearing Red Earth’s Have Fun Lipstick Matches in a gorgeous coral-red color; such a creamy and buildable formula. Peep the super cute packaging, too! I’ve been having so much fun testing out this brand’s range.
Shop my look:
Tank top, Reformation Vintage (Melrose Ave, Los Angeles)
Jeans, Re/Done, similar here
Have Fun Lipstick Matches, Red Earth