I am so excited to be nominated by the lovely Kellie of Conscious Kitten for the Sunshine Blogger Awards! The Sunshine Blogger Awards focuses on bloggers who promote happy and creative lives.
Kellie’s chic minimalist style, her passion for conscious fashion (and animals, hence her blog’s name!), as well as her dedication are qualities we should all admire. Be sure to check out her Q & A here, and scroll through her IG (@kelliehayden) for some serious inspo (you’ll want to add her wedding photos to your Pinterest board immediately)!
Before I get into the Q & A portion of this post, I want to share with you my 11 nominees; bloggers who inspire me every day to be a more dedicated and creative version of myself.
And they are:
- Beauty By Kelsey
- NYC Bambi
- Amelia Says
- Rohini Elyse
- Her Wearabouts
- Keller Rose
- Kind Of Luxe
- Simplest Of Things
My questions for you:
- Why did you decide to start blogging?
- What inspires you the most?
- What’s the best book you’ve ever read? Why is it your fav?
- What’s the blog post you’re most proud of?
- One beauty product you couldn’t live without?
- What makes you feel the most confident/like your best self?
- Describe your dream vacation.
- What are your hobbies besides blogging?
- What is a cause that’s close to your heart? Why?
- What is your favorite piece of clothing you own? Why?
- One piece of advice you wish you could give your younger self?
My Q & A:
Huge thank-you to Kellie for these great questions! I had so much fun answering them.
Why did you decide to start blogging?
I decided to start blogging so I could have a platform to share my work (I studied journalism in college). But it quickly became a place for me to express my creativity, as well as my personal style and other interests.
What are your tips for promoting your blog?
- Be genuine! I listed this one first because it’s the most important in my opinion! And I think it comes from having respect for your readers, as well as other bloggers. It’s obviously really disrespectful to copy another blogger’s hard work, but a lot of bloggers (or aspiring bloggers) fail to realize being genuine is a form of respect towards your readers or potential readers, as well. Most readers are smart enough to realize when a blogger is promoting something just for money or for clout. So in that way it is pretty insulting for the blogger to be out there promoting things and expecting their readers to believe they genuinely love it. Don’t promote anything you don’t truly love. Be picky with the brands with whom you choose to work.
- Work hard & invest time in your blog! If blogging were easy, everyone who tried it would be successful! But, there are so many aspiring bloggers who gave up on their work when they found out firsthand how difficult and time-consuming it can be. I believe it’s worth the struggle and the time, so invest your effort in taking quality photos/videos, writing, proofreading and editing, as well as posting consistently. Don’t forget to promote your posts on social media once they go live, and take the time to support your fellow bloggers, too! Which brings me to my third point…
- Engage! Show your support for the bloggers and brands *you* love by commenting on their posts and telling them what you love about them! Remember that it’s so important to be genuine here, too; I can’t stand when someone–especially someone who doesn’t even follow me or engage with me regularly–comments a generic “great!” or “cool!” on my posts. It’s even worse when they add a “check out my blog” or “check out my page” to it. I delete those right away. Always, always, always be sure that by engaging with others, you’re adding something meaningful to the conversation. Don’t be selfish. Also, hashtags!
What is your favorite piece of clothing that you own/have owned? Why?
This one is so tough! I would have to say the old pair of Levi’s cut-offs that were my mom’s. They’re always the first pair of shorts I gravitate towards when spring comes around because they’re so comfortable and look great with everything.
What is your favorite book and why?
My favorite book is actually one I just finished called Startup. It’s relatable, funny and smart. Learn more by checking out my post here!
What is a cause that’s important to you?
I’ve always loved Feeding America, a non-profit that provides healthy groceries to those in need in the U.S. I also come from a strong military family; my grandpa was in the Navy and my great-grandpa was in the Army, so of course, supporting our troops and veterans is a cause close to my heart.
A cause that’s gotten my attention more recently is educating women and girls and preparing them for careers in STEM, business and law. I really love Girls Who Code, and wish something like that existed when I was growing up. Helping women find their places in the economy and find fulfillment through their work and their careers.
What is something you’ve dreamed about doing, but have yet to do?
I would *loove* to spend a year in Australia, and while I’m on that side of the world, would also love to see other places like Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam.
What do you like the most about yourself?
I like that I am a quiet person. I can’t stand being around people who are loud for no reason.
What are your hobbies, besides blogging?
Exercising (my favs are cycling, hiking, pilates and barre), cooking and trying new foods, reading and traveling!
What is the best thing that happened to you in the past week?
I can’t say what it is quite yet, but stay tuned!
What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
Follow your heart, but take your head with you.
What do you want to be remembered for?
The Sunshine Blogger guidelines:
Thank the person who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.